At BodyPro Wellness Center, we provide adrenal support for those suffering from imbalanced cortisol levels and DHEA levels. Too much cortisol in your system can cause problems with your cortisol rhythm. This rhythm controls mood, motivation, sleep and fear. For those with high cortisol levels within their system, it contributes to various conditions. These include anxiety and depression, heart disease, trouble sleeping, and weight gain. Adrenal support means addressing the cortisol hormone by checking your hormonal and nutritional levels. Improving your overall health is achieved with alternative methods for a better quality of life.
How Our Cortisol Rhythm Affects Our Health
Cortisol is the primary stress hormone that operates throughout the adrenal and endocrine glands. It regulates various processes such as the immune system, suppressing inflammation throughout the bodily tissues. It also controls blood sugar and metabolism within the muscles, fat, liver, and bones. Cortisol is mainly responsible for regulating the body’s stress response and, in turn, also helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar.
Because almost all tissues within the body have cortisol receptors, cortisol affects almost every organ within our bodies. Our bodies control the number of cortisol levels through the brain’s hypothalamus and pituitary gland areas. The hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and adrenal glands, known as the HPA axis, must be functioning correctly to manage cortisol levels. High levels can result from conditions such as adrenal gland tumors and corticosteroid medications. Those with conditions like these can experience numerous symptoms, including:
- Weight Gain: Weight gain typically occurs around the face and abdomen, especially in those who have high cortisol levels.
- Muscle Weakness: Muscle weakness and breakfown, specifically in the upper arms and thighs, although typically accompanied by weight gain, results from hormonal imbalances.
- High Blood Sugar: High blood sugar, which precedes type 2 diabetes, often results from imbalances in the hormones that manage glucose levels throughout the system.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure tends to occur when high cortisol levels cause excessive inflammation throughout the muscles and bloodstream.
- Weakened Bones: Over time, high cortisol levels can also lead to osteoporosis and an increased risk of fractures.
- Poor Sleep: Cortisol also causes effects on the melatonin rhythm, disrupting sleep-wake cycles and causing excessive fatigue.
What Does Adrenal Support Look Like?
Adrenal support means finding suitable sources to limit stress levels and stay healthy. In our practice, this means providing nutritional guidance for managing your hormone levels, providing evaluations for underlying issues such as diabetes and sleep apnea, and planning out diet and exercise plans that address your hormone levels more completely through alternative methods. We use salivary adrenal hormone labs to look at the cortisol rhythm of hormones along with affected hormones like melatonin which can affect staying asleep at night. Doing so means addressing the causes of your weight gain and cortisol’s effect on the immune system. There is also a correlation between cortisol and bone density.
Our doctors will work with you and be your health coach, giving you the nutritional guidance you need to have a fuller, happier life. To learn more, contact our practice today by scheduling your initial consultation with us today.